The Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology is the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary of science available. Covering 124 fields of science, the Dictionary will make a handsome addition to your reference collection.
* Approximately 124,000 fully defined entries, not counting abbreviations--the largest range of vocabulary ever compiled in a science dictionary
* Compete coverage of 124 fields of science and technology, including Computer Science, biotechnology, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Molecular Biology, Ecology, Behavior, Astronomy, Geology, and more
* "Windows," boxed essays for each of the 124 fields, offering a brief definition of each area-its meaning, history, and implications-by such prestigious scientists as Michael DeBakey, Stephen Jay Gould, Linus Pauling, Roger Revelle, and Jonas Salk
* Completely up-to-date definitions in such dynamic fields as Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, and Biotechnology
* Extensive cross-references throughout to link overlapping or equivalent entries and guide readers to the preferred terms
* More medical terms overall than any other general scientific dictionary now available
* More coverage of subfields of medicine, including Oncology, Radiology, Hematology, Cardiology, and Toxicology
* Pronunciation guides for difficult or phonetically irregular terms
* Etymologies giving the origin of important scientific terms
* Definitions that are supplemented by examples of current usage
* Abbreviations and proper names defined in the body of the text, rather than in an appendix, for easier reference
* A complete appendix of frequently consulted scientific data, including standard weights and measures and the periodic table
* A Chronology of Science listing all important milestones in the history of science from 1400 to the present
* Nearly 2,000 detailed illustrations and technical photographs, including 24 pages of color plates
* Definitions reviewed for accuracy by a panel of eminent scientist
* A single-volume, 8 A?" x 11", double-column format with boldfaced entries that offer the ready easy access to definitions
* Lightweight, acid-free paper
From the Back Cover
Set a new standard of excellence by adding the Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology to your reference collection. The most complete, authoritative dictionary of science available.
About the Author
Christopher Morris is owner of Morris Books and a professional lexicographer who has edited more than 20 different dictionaries on a wide variety of subjects. He is editor in chief of the award-winning Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology, which provides the largest vocabulary of science yet compiled and features special essays by 120 eminent scientists, including nine Nobel laureates. He served as chief editor of the Macmillan school dictionary series, which includes several of the largest-selling educational dictionaries in U.S. history. He has also been an author of school and college textbooks and has compiled many different scientific glossaries, for fields such as ecology, endocrinology, microbiology, oncology, reproductive biology, and toxicology. He and Cutler Cleveland previously collaborated on the Encyclopedia of Energy, winner of an American Library Association award, for which Dr. Cleveland was editor in chief and he served as chief development editor.
* If download links doesn't work. Please write a comment.Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology Download via usenet